Established visual and media artists, musicians, and cultural managers in Guelph and Wellington County are invited to apply to mentor emerging artist participants in the Guelph Emerging Artist Mentorship Project. This paid opportunity will support established artists in: developing coaching and mentorship skills, accessing professional resources, making new connections, and helping emerging artists connect and learn within Guelph’s creative community.
Through the project, Guelph Arts Council (GAC) will support emerging artists in the critical transition to professional life. Emerging musicians, visual artists, and cultural managers will work with established-artist mentors to develop the professional networks and business and management skills needed for creative careers in Guelph.
Participants in the project will include emerging Guelph-Wellington artists.
The University of Guelph has instituted a vaccine policy for its students, staff, faculty, and campus visitors. As a project that is delivered in partnership with the University and involves its students and facilities, GEAMP will align with this policy. All participants and mentors must be fully vaccinated in order to participate in any in-person project activities. Those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons or on other grounds protected by the Ontario Human Rights Code should contact us.
GAC is grateful for support from the RBC Emerging Artists Project. The RBC Emerging Artists Project helps artists bridge the gap from emerging to established, and supports organizations that provide the best opportunity to advance their career trajectory.
GAC is also grateful for the partnership of the University of Guelph’s School of Fine Art and Music.
Eligibility: Mentorship opportunities are open to established visual and media artists, cultural managers, and musicians actively practicing in Guelph or Wellington County. GAC will match each emerging artist participant with a mentor that suits their artistic discipline and development needs.
Expectations: Established-artist mentors will be expected to:
- attend an orientation session (maximum 2 hours) Monday, October 4th 7:00pm or Thursday, October 7th 7:00pm
- engage in mentorship sessions (4 – 6 hours per emerging artist):
- augment the learnings of the orientation session with their own experience and perspective
- advise emerging artists as they prepare for a finale exhibition or performance.
Remuneration: Established-artist mentors will be paid $40/hr per emerging artist participant. Mentors are not limited to one participant. Reasonable project-related expenses, including limited mileage/transportation, will be reimbursed.
Timeline: The Project will be implemented September 25 – December 17, 2021. Participation in the project requires a commitment to a maximum two hours orientation and a minimum of four hours mentorship sessions in the Guelph Emerging Artist Mentorship Project during this period.
Location: Training and mentorship sessions will happen in accordance with provincial public health recommendations. They will take place in person, if possible, but GAC will assist in organizing online spaces for sessions as needed.
Process: By completing this application by Sunday, September 19, 2021 before 11:59 pm.
Application Requirements and Documents:
- Current CV or Artist Bio (max. 4 pages) that includes artistic activities for the past 12 to 18 months
- Three to seven images, MP3 files, or video links of previous work, if applicable
- List of images, MP3 files, or video links: Include file names, title, description, medium/instrument, dimensions (if applicable), date completed or performed, if applicable
- Letter of interest: 100 – 350 word letter describing your fit with the project and any previous mentorship or teaching experience
- Please include two professional references, noting your connection to those references
- An attestation that you are fully vaccinated.
Application Deadline: Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 11:59 pm
Notification: Friday, September 24, 2021
If you would like assistance with your application or to submit a hardcopy of the application instead, please contact [email protected]