Application Deadline: Oct 31, 2023
Start Date: Oct 17, 2023
Salary From: 40K To 40K
Region: Halton Region
Employee Benefits: Health, Pension
Organization’s Field/Discipline: The Arts
Job’s focus: Creative & Administrative
Job Type: Full-time
Career Level: Intermediate
Art Gallery of Burlington
The Art Gallery of Burlington (AGB) is an award-winning, public gallery located in the heart of the city. It hosts as many as twenty exhibitions per year and is home to an acclaimed collection of Canadian contemporary ceramics.
An interactive and creative space, the AGB welcomes creative thinkers and artists. It offers public tours and art education programs for all ages. Seven guilds create within the AGB, using studios dedicated to photography, hand-weaving, spinning, sculpture, woodcarving, fine arts, pottery and hooking craft.
ART SALES & RENTALS COORDINATOR
REPORTS TO: AGB Shop Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full-time, 5 days a week, typical workweek Tuesday to Sunday and some evenings.
The AGB Shop is a dynamic work environment requiring an energetic individual with a strong understanding of the art market and passion for the arts. The AGB Shop promotes and sells original Canadian fine art and craft and offers art rental services to residential clients, film productions, and corporate clients.
The Art Sales and Rentals Coordinator is responsible for growing the art sales and rentals program at the AGB. They will work closely with the Shop Manager and volunteers to generate and manage sales, maintain accurate inventory records and reports of artworks, and ensure customer accounts are up-to-date and monthly payments to artists for the sales and rentals of their works are completed. This position includes frontline retail support, working side by side with the Shop Manager and volunteers to reach sales goals and provide exceptional visitor experience and customer service.
The Art Sales and Rentals Coordinator will generate leads and provide sales and services such as art consultations, deliveries and installations of artworks to corporate and residential clients through art sales and rentals, while maintaining profit margins to meet revenue targets. It is the responsibility of this position to provide creative support to product and artist selection as well as support marketing strategies by working with the Head of Digital Marketing and carry out or supervise all functions to support outside art sales and services. In addition, it will also be required to provide sales floor supervision in the shop to meet staffing requirements.
Sales and Business Development & Inventory Management:
- Generate and follow-up on leads, make sales calls and complete sales transactions to meet art sales and rental targets.
- Develop and implement sales strategies to increase sales revenue and customer satisfaction.
- Establish strong working relationships with artists and suppliers. Source new art and craft to meet client needs.
- Follow and implement art intake procedures.
- Use software and systems available to invoice clients accurately, in a timely manner and follow-up to ensure payment of overdue rentals, customer payment plans and payments to artists.
- Work with staff and volunteers to maximize resources and develop new systems when necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate records of artworks and active tracking of inventory both on and off-site.
- Liaison with manager to keep up to date inventory procedure and assist the shop manager for the year-end shop inventory count.
- Manage and update website with accurate art sales and rental information and inventory.
Retail Sales & Customer Service:
- Open and close shop following recommended security and cash procedures.
- Serve customers, supervise volunteers and sales transactions. Balance daily sales and floats.
- Build strong customer loyalty through excellent customer service.
- Provide art consultations, and coordinate delivery and installation services for customers.
- Corporate sales transactions, including account set-up and payment plans.
- Provide reminders on rentals due and complete telephone transactions of rental renewals and art purchases.
- Track and process online art sales and provide shipping quotes to customers when needed. Will need to be able to package and ship art both nationally and internationally.
Marketing & Administration:
- Work with Shop Manager & Head of Digital Marketing to develop and implement marketing strategy to meet business goals for art sales and rentals. Work together to maximize advertising opportunities.
- Liaison with Shop Manager to organize AGB shop art promotions and events.
- Use CRM and POS programs to record all sales and account information.
- Invoice customers
- Monthly review of sales and accounts payable with the Shop Manager.
- Review weekly sales expense budget as required.
- Provide art rental training for staff and volunteers
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work to further the goals and objectives of the AGB and participate actively in the institution’s life. Act in a respectful, accountable, and generous manner towards other staff, volunteers, and the general public.
- Demonstrate a positive professional presence, inspiring and building confidence both within the AGB and outside the institution among a broad range of constituencies.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the AGB’s Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion priorities, ensuring that diverse audiences are represented, promoted, and engaged.
Skills & Requirements:
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Customer relationship skills- listening, assessing needs and matching needs with products and services.
- Knowledge of art styles and techniques/ handling and hanging of artworks.
- Interior design- understanding of colour and design theory.
- Computer skills; POS system, CRM, website, excel, word, internet and email.
- 3 years’ experience in art sales for a retail gallery or equivalent industry within the arts.
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in art history, art business, fine art or a related field/ equivalent experience.
- Proficient in Excel and database software.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs., to receive stock shipments, and to display and install artwork both on and off site.
- Valid drivers’ license; to drive AGB van to visit artist studios, clients, and make deliveries/ pick-ups of artworks.
- Retail working environment.
- Most of the work is performed in a Gallery environment with an attendant noise level.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume that clearly indicates your relevant work experiences, a cover letter that describes your interest in the position at the AGB and your qualifications in one pdf. Send to [email protected]. The email subject line should read <title of position applied for> <followed by applicant’s last name>.
Kindly note that we will accept no phone calls or walk-ins. We thank all applicants for their interest but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will be scheduled with selected applicants at mutually agreed times to ensure candidates do not experience undue hardship.