Since 2011, the Robert Pope Foundation and NSCAD University (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) have jointly offered a 2 month long residency with studio and honorarium to an exceptional Canadian painter each year.
OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
We invite emerging and mid-career painters to apply for this unique opportunity to work and exhibit in our dynamic art college environment.
This residency is open to all Canadian painters who have completed an MFA or equivalent degree. MFA degree must have been completed prior to the residency’s start date.
September 18, 2023
APPLICATION DUE DATE
3 March 2023
THE WILLIAM AND ISABEL POPE PAINTING RESIDENCY PROVIDES:
- A spacious painting studio accessible 24/7 at NSCAD University’s Fountain Campus
- An $8,000 honorarium from the Robert Pope Foundation toward accommodation and living costs
- Up to $500 for travel expenses (with receipts)
- A two week solo exhibition at NSCAD’s Anna Leonowens Gallery scheduled to coincide with the residency itself
The resident artist will be expected to do studio visits with current MFA students and to give two artist talks—a slide talk for students and a gallery talk during their exhibition. The resident artist may also be asked to host occasional studio visits from painting classes.
Please note that the studio and many parts of the Fountain Campus are Not Accessible.
Please send the following items in a single file in PDF format.
Maximum size: 20MB
- Artist CV
- Artist Statement – max. 400 words
- Project Proposal – max. 400 words
- References: Provide names and contact information for 2 professional references. Letters not required.
- 15 Images of painting work. Images must also be formatted to fit into single PDF file
- Image list: list title, year, medium, dimensions and short descriptions if necessary for each of your images
- Contact information: Provide your name, phone number, email address and website address
All submissions must be sent by email to [email protected]
For all other inquiries related to the residency please contact [email protected]