Project proposals should speak to historic and current social issues and movements within Black and Indigenous communities and equity deserving groups and the importance, benefits, and opportunities to build a better future through inclusion, collaboration, and knowledge sharing.
The outcome of the StART “Just Us” Art Project is the transformation of a project wall into a vibrant and appealing reflection of justice for all. Murals and activations in aggregate will represent our efforts to highlight Black Lives, justice for Indigenous Communities and equity deserving groups.
Submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Past work demonstrates Artist capacity to deliver a high-quality project of similar size and scope
- Concept highlighting social injustice, justice for all, social change, equity, race relations and community engagement
- Concept reflects the theme ‘Just Us’
- Submission package is complete and clear
*Note that in all cases, project implementation is dependent on COVID-19 conditions and subject to the direction of the City of Toronto and Toronto Public Health.
The Final Artwork Must:
- Demonstrate artistic excellence (conceptual, aesthetic, and technical).
- Be durable and require minimal maintenance. Artists should take into consideration the sustainability of the proposed artwork.
- Be engaging to the surrounding community and commuters travelling through the community.
- The City of Toronto logo may be added.
Designs must not contain:
- Any representations of traffic lights, signs, or signals.
- Advertisement or promotion for any business, product, or viewpoint.
- Vulgar, profane, offensive, or insensitive images or writing.
- Any breach of intellectual property, trademarks, or brands.
Artists whose concepts are selected may be required to:
- Attend and participate in a community engagement session to further guide or refine their proposal; and indicate how the proposed artwork reflects the “Just Us” theme, this engagement session may be conducted online.
- Submit a final art proposal for Advisory Panel review.
StreetARToronto (StART) is a suite of innovative programs specifically designed for streets and public spaces, and has been successful in working with artists to produce vibrant, meaningful, community engaged street mural and graffiti art. StART programs encourage active transportation (walking and cycling), make our streets more inviting and safe, showcase local artists, mentor emerging talent, and create opportunities for positive engagement among residents, business, artists, arts organizations and City staff. While based on themes relevant to local sites and neighborhoods, StART artworks and artists also reflect the City of Toronto motto: Diversity Our Strength and foster a greater sense of belonging among all. An initiative of the City of Toronto, Transportation Services Division, StART has become a leader in significant mural, street, and graffiti art installations since its inception in 2012.
Application Deadlines: Artists are welcome to apply to this art call throughout the 2023 year. Artists are encouraged to apply before August 15th, 2023.
For more information on this art call and to apply visit streetartoronto.ca/just-us and for additional questions contact us at [email protected]