Click here for more info.
Homer Watson House & Gallery is preparing to launch our 2023 Summer Art Camps! We are looking to hire an experienced camp leader with a minimum 1-2 years of experience and a skillset that would enable them to lead camps and camp counsellors. This individual must be of good moral character, possess valid First Aid and CPR level C certificate and provide a police vulnerable sector check. They must possess good communication, leadership and teamwork skills and be able to direct campers ranging from age 4 to 14 while supervising and coaching up to 8 staff and volunteers.
Homer Watson House and Gallery is the oldest operating art gallery in Ontario and one of the oldest galleries in Canada. Our mission is to preserve and celebrate the legacy of Homer Watson’s creative spirit by stimulating the appreciation, enjoyment and practice of the visual arts.
Duties include but are not limited to:
● Active involvement and overseeing the operation and delivery of the summer camp program. Ensuring that daily camp activities are organized, ensuring programming is adapted to camper needs with regards to quality, safety, hygiene, weather, etc.
● Supports and supervises Camp Counsellors and volunteers with program planning preparation, delivery of art lessons and activities. Ensure that counsellors are delivering enjoyable, structured and well-planned activities.
● Supervising camp staff with guidance of the Education & Public Programs Coordinator. Prioritizes child well-being, safety and protection throughout the camp. Evaluates situations for potential risks to the safety, protection and well-being of campers and staff, proactively taking mitigating actions to address such risks.
● Assist with responding to parent questions and concerns to ensure customer satisfaction.
● Prepare attendance tracking sheets and assist with maintaining registration and emergency contact records.
● Ensure programs run on schedule and all required supplies have been purchased and prepared in a timely fashion.
● Ensure there is sufficient child supervision during the hours of camp. Monitoring and engaging campers during art activities, morning drop off, sign in, sign-out, breaks. lunch time, along with afternoon extended care and pick up. Ensuring safety for all participants and staff at all times.
● Collaboratively prepare and install an exhibition of student artwork at the end of each camp week with counsellors.
● Creates weekly social media content for each camp to submit to the marketing department.
To be fantastic in this role you:
● Enjoy working with children
● Have strong communication skills
● Have a passion for visual art
● Work well as a team
● Have a good understanding of HWHG and what we do
● Are willing to learn new skills
● *Education/ECE training and working with children is an asset.
● Actively pursuing a college diploma or university degree in the Arts, Education or Recreation and Leisure or other related field.
● Current Standard First Aid with CPR ‘C’.
This is a grant funded position. Applicants must meet the following criteria:
● Must be currently enrolled in a secondary, or post-secondary institution or within six months of graduation. Proof of enrollment must be provided.
● Between the ages of 15-25 years old upon commencement of employment or up to 29 years of age for persons with a disability, within the meaning of s.10 of the Ontario Human Rights Code, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, as amended from time to time.
● Available to work full time for the duration of the contract length.
● Students must be eligible to work in Canada and have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
Experience and Knowledge
· Excellent organizational and customer service skills.
· Past camp experience demonstrating significant leadership capabilities.
· Extensive knowledge of program planning and child development stages.
· Demonstrates creativity and innovation in program planning skills.
· Computer skills (Microsoft Office applications, Adobe Acrobat)
Accommodation needs and protection of privacy
The Homer Watson House & Gallery is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from all qualified individuals, and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the recruitment and hiring process.
Please contact the Public Programs & Education Coordinator to make your needs known in advance, with the nature of any accommodations that you may require in respect to any materials or processes used to ensure your full and equal participation throughout the recruitment and hiring process.
Personal information collected in relation to the recruitment process is collected under the authority outlined in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and used solely to determine eligibility for employment with the Homer Watson House & Gallery only.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 3 months
Salary: $18.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- KITCHENER, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-05-19
Expected start date: 2023-06-19