Application Deadline: Feb 12, 2023
Start Date: Apr 01, 2023
Hourly From: $15/hr To $20/hr
Region: Eastern Ontario
Employee Benefits: N/A
Organization’s Field/Discipline: Heritage
Job’s focus: Creative
Job Type: Part-time
Career Level: Entry level/ intern
City of Mississauga
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
- Reclaiming and pugging clay weekly or as required
- Monitor, maintain and mix studio glazes and slips while practicing safe chemical handling, proper mixing/containment of glazes
- Ensure that bisque and glaze firings are complete as per program schedules and firing requisitions
- Maintain organization and temporary storage of specific programming and participant works throughout the firing process
- Ensure general weekly cleaning of the Living Arts Centre ceramics studio including kiln room and glaze room
- Empty clay traps as per schedule
- Adhere to studio operating policies, health and safety procedures and use of PPE.
- Complete and communicate equipment repair forms as required.
- Monitor and report required materials and supplies to be ordered in a timely manner.
- Post-secondary diploma, degree or equivalent education in Ceramics.
- Working knowledge of an operating ceramics studio including equipment, materials as well as health and safety practices and appropriate PPE
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working with Ceramics equipment (i.e. wheels, kilns, pug mill).
- Must have knowledge in the operation of electric kilns with digital controllers for firing; knowledge of raku firing processes
- Organizational, planning, and time management skills
- Excellent communication/interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated appropriate technical knowledge
- Proven customer service and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Ability to repair kilns and elements an asset
- Experience pugging clay an asset
- Health and Safety training an asset
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Some heavy lifting up to 50lbs
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends
- Access to a reliable vehicle for driving to city-wide locations an asset.
The Ceramics Assistant Technician will schedule and work two regular shifts between the hours of 2:00pm and 6:00pm Mon – Fri. During weekly meetings a work schedule will be determined for the remaining biweekly hours. Biweekly hours are variable and are not to exceed 30 without approval. Due to the nature of the City’s programming, scheduling will be variable and will include weekend work to ensure the firing schedule is maintained.
How to Apply:
Please apply on jobs.mississauga here.