Click here for more info and to access the application.
About Our Organization
When you join the City of Guelph, you join a team of 2000 full and part-time employees who deliver services the community relies on every day. Together, we are bringing to life Guelph’s vision of an inclusive, connected, and prosperous city where we look after each other and our environment.
As a regional top employer, the City of Guelph values its employees and offers competitive salaries, excellent benefit packages, opportunities for professional development, a healthy work-life balance, and many roles with flexible work options. Our corporate values are integrity, service, inclusion, wellness, and learning. Guelph is consistently ranked as one of the best places in Canada to live, work, and play—all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the temporary position of Cultural Program and Event Coordinator with the Culture and Recreation Department. Reporting to the Manager, Museums and Culture, this position will coordinate the program development, promotion and delivery of the City’s public art program, arts and culture projects and City-hosted civic and entertainment events. Guided by goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
- Connects cross-departmentally and builds relationship with community stakeholders to create and advance the implementation of arts and cultural policies, projects, programs, and opportunities.
- Develops and coordinates the City’s arts and culture policies and programs, prepares the calls for proposals, oversees the jurying process, and manages maintenance of the public art collection.
- Ensures due diligence in the application of City policies in the creation and installation of temporary place making and permanent public art works.
- Provides coordination support for the initiatives and tasks of the Public Art Advisory Committee.
- Supports the development and setting of goals, objectives, and work plans for cultural programing.
- Researches revenue sources, grants or partnerships to fund development of cultural initiatives.
- Prepares grant applications and funding proposals to support growth and development of arts and culture programming and prepares related reports as assigned.
- Manages the Guelph Culture Map portal, promotes its benefits as a public resource, analyzes and reports on the data, and grows the number of tangible and intangible assets on the site.
- Develops a data base on best practices, trends and data related to municipal cultural practices.
- Develops a data base on cultural metrics in Guelph, for use in planning and program evaluation.
- Coordinates City-hosted civic and special cultural events at public facilities.
- Leads staff and volunteer teams to advance cultural events and programs to ensure coordination of logistics, exceptional customer service and liaison with appropriate staff from various departments.
- Develops plans and coordinates promotion of events and special projects, including preparation of written copy, promotional materials and dissemination through various social media platforms.
- Tracks and manages budgets for cultural events, programs and projects, including special capital projects and oversees contractors in the delivery of arts and culture programs and services.
- Ensures compliance with all federal and provincial regulations/legislation and City by-laws applicable to the programs; ensures compliance with City policy and procedures.
- Be available for after-hours meetings, programs and events.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of post-secondary degree or diploma in arts, arts administration or a related discipline and 2-3 years’ experience in the development, coordination and promotion of cultural events, arts programs, and public art projects. Candidates with an equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, stakeholders, and the general public.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple assignments, programs and projects and adapt to changing work priorities.
- Excellent customer services skills with the ability to deal with the public and co-workers.
- Ability to research and prepare documents for arts and culture policy, grants, reports, calls for artists, commissioning of artwork and requests for proposals.
- Knowledge of promotional and social and traditional media platforms to promote events,
- programs and effectively convey the City’s broader cultural contributions and services.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of Canadian copyright legislation and understanding of principles and disciplines of visual and performing arts practice, as well as familiarity with literary arts and new media.
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and WordPress is an asset.
$31.92 – $39.20 per hour.
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Tuesday, October 18, 2022. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.