Full Job Description
Culture and Events Assistant – Summer 2023
Come join us this summer!
As a member of the Economic Development – Arts and Culture team, the Culture & Events Assistant will assist with the delivery of both City and community-led cultural programs. As a team member of the Arts and Culture unit, staff demonstrate support for corporate values and participate fully in achieving the goals and objectives of the Economic Development Division. Our team’s mission is to support the attraction and retention of local talent, cultural tourism and placemaking.
Rate of pay: $20.20/hour
Hours of work: 35 hours/week (includes day, evening, and weekend shifts)
Duration: May 1 – September 1, 2023
Application Deadline: The deadline to apply for the first round of interviews was March 5, 2023. This posting will remain open until March 31, 2023. Applications submitted after the deadline will only be reviewed on an as needed basis.
Tasks & Accountabilities:
- Provide assistance to Arts and Culture staff in the delivery of outdoor events and programs
- Assist with set-up, take-down and operation of various outdoor events
- Communicate effectively and provide excellent customer service to members of the public, community organizations, volunteers and businesses associated with events and programs
- Collaborate with staff from cross-functional departments within the City
- Assist with special projects in collaboration with the Arts and Culture staff
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1-2 years of related education and experience
- Standard First Aid (not Emergency First Aid) or intent to obtain First Aid training prior to start date
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Flexible availability to accommodate a varied work schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Capable of performing hands-on, physical work in an outdoor environment
- Willing and able to work in various weather conditions
- Valid MTO ‘G’ class driver’s licence in good standing with driver’s abstract acceptable to the City is required to perform the job
- Safety requirements require Green Patch (CSA approved) work boots be worn when working
- A satisfactory police criminal and judicial matters check is required as a condition of hire
- Must be able to lift up to 50 LBS
- Work involves bending, kneeling, walking, climbing and driving activities
- Physical work in various weather conditions
Online Application Process: Interested and qualified candidates were invited to submit their cover letter and resume through the online application process by March 5, 2023, at careers.waterloo.ca to be considered for the first round of interviews. This posting will remain upon until March 31, 2023, however, applications will only be reviewed on an as needed basis.
Be You @ Waterloo:
At the City of Waterloo, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. All interested and qualified candidates, including Indigenous persons, Black persons, non-Black racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ and those interested in joining our team are encouraged to apply.
The City of Waterloo is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace that is welcoming, inclusive, and barrier-free. Accommodations in accordance with the Human Rights Code and other applicable legislation are available throughout all stages of the recruitment process. For accommodation during the application process, applicants are requested to make their needs known via email at [email protected], quoting the position and competition number. Applicants advanced through to subsequent stages of the recruitment process will be provided with additional opportunities to make their needs known.
Click here for more info.