Application Deadline: May 08, 2023
Start Date: Jun 12, 2023
Hourly From: $30/hr To $40/hr
Region: Halton Region
Employee Benefits: Health, Pension
Organization’s Field/Discipline: Heritage
Job’s focus: Creative & Administrative
Job Type: Full-time
Career Level: Doesn’t apply
Museums of Burlington
Guided by our vision and grounded in our core values, the Museums of Burlington’s commitment is to serve, lead and together build a culture rich community.
To engage our audiences through the sharing of history & culture.
To inspire connections.
Passion: To share history and heritage.
Inspire: To push boundaries and share perspectives.
Connect: To connect and serve the interests of our community.
Ireland House Museum
A historical house and property, the original homestead of the Ireland family shares a piece of Burlington’s history and engages visitors with a rich first hand authentic experience with one of Burlington’s founding families. With guided tours and interpreters in period costumes, visitors step back in time to understand the life of early settlers.
Joseph Brant Museum
Joseph Brant Museum combines the replica Brant house with state-of-the-art exhibition and programming space. Featuring three new galleries and space for travelling exhibitions, the Museum showcases Burlington’s history by sharing interesting and provocative perspectives about the past, present and future.
The Museums of Burlington is seeking a creative motivated individual to lead and manage the Museum’s curatorial department. This position is responsible for all aspects of collection management, developing and maintaining a departmental budget, exhibition development and curatorial programming.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Museum Director, the Museums’ Curator is responsible for:
The Curator is responsible for the collection management program at both Museums. This includes development of collection policies, conservation and maintenance of artifacts, artifact acquisitions, appraisals and loans.
Preservation & Conservation:
The Curator manages the Museums conservation and preventative conservation programs including the areas of exhibition, storage and security.
The Curator develops, proposes and curates exhibitions and curatorial content for a variety of platforms supporting the Museums’ mandate and goals and oversees the Museums’ temporary and travelling exhibitions programs.
The Curator is responsible for research to develop new knowledge and insight into the past and present local community; explores community issues and opportunities for issue based programming. Conducts research related to the study of collections, exhibits, historic sites or local history; and responds to research requests from other professionals, the public and organizations.
The Curator supervises the Assistant Curator and curatorial volunteers in the performance of their duties in the areas of collection, research and exhibition; provides orientation and training of staff and volunteers in related areas; and, supervises the care, handling and access of the collection.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree from an accredited university as well as a graduate degree or certificate in Museum Studies or a related field.
- Minimum three years of experience in museum curatorial work that includes collection development, programmes, exhibits, budgeting, planning, and working cooperatively with other museum departments and functions at a senior management level.
- excellent organizational and time management skills
- experience working with volunteers*
- high overall level of computer literacye
- Proven record in developing community partnerships, outreach, and curatorial programmes/exhibits that meet the demands of the public.
- experience developing and managing a departmental budget
- experience with museum collection management software, “Past Perfect”
- strong attention to detail, high level of accuracy and strong problem solving skills
- ability to work independently while establishing priorities and meeting deadlines
How to Apply:
Application Deadline: May 8, 2023
The Museums of Burlington thanks all those who apply, but only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume to:
Kimberly Watson, Director of Museums
Joseph Brant Museum
1240 North Shore Blvd. E
* Please note “Curator” in the subject li