Application Deadline: Oct 26, 2022
Start Date: Nov 01, 2022
Salary From: 50K To 65K
Region: Kitchener/Waterloo Area
Employee Benefits: Health, Pension
Organization’s Field/Discipline: Public Libraries
Job’s focus: Creative & Administrative
Job Type: Full-time
Career Level: Intermediate
Cambridge Art Galleries, Idea Exchange
Cambridge Art Galleries emphasizes diversity, access, and innovation. Our exhibitions, artistic programs, and collection provide vital opportunities for the examination of, and experimentation within, contemporary culture and public discourse. We strive to transcend traditional practices in order to stimulate empowered, alternative, enriching artistic dialogues and collaborations.
Idea Exchange is a community hub comprised of the public libraries and art galleries for the City of Cambridge, a thriving city with a rich architectural heritage and the second largest community within the Waterloo Region. We are committed to supporting and inspiring our community in the exploration of reading, arts, innovation, and learning.
What You’ll Do
The Education and Engagement Facilitator develops and delivers onsite and online educational programming to engage all gallery members, elementary/secondary school groups and external communities with a focus on the gallery’s permanent collection, exhibitions, and/or significant gallery themes.
As the Education and Engagement Facilitator you will:
- Work collaboratively with the Director/Curator and Assistant Curator to produce educational exhibition interpretations for gallery members of all ages
- Develop and deliver online educational programs for all gallery members using innovative digital learning techniques and methods;
- Develop and deliver curriculum-based educational tours for school groups, including homeschool groups, from elementary to secondary students.
- Develop and deliver programming that supports career development for local artists and makers.
- Select and coordinate qualified instructors for special programs and workshops.
- In conjunction with the Director/ Curator, plan all education programs within the allotted budget.
- General administration tasks related to gallery operations.
- Support gallery exhibition event preparation.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
To be qualified for and successful in the role, you should have:
- A University degree or equivalent in such programs as Education, Cultural Studies, Art History, Visual Arts, or a related field.
- 2 years’ experience as an educator in traditional or non-traditional setting (Experience working with children’s and adult education is an asset).
- 2 years’ experience with the standards and practices of museums/galleries, particularly in education and community outreach.
- A demonstrated proficiency with task-specific software, including online education tools.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Canadian and contemporary art is an asset.
- Proficiency with interpersonal and communication skills, including writing and public speaking.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, with demonstrated ability to make sound decisions.
- Inclusive individual who values and utilizes the expertise of diverse individuals and groups (artists, teams, teachers, colleagues, other museums/galleries, stakeholders) as they achieve goals and projects together.
- Curious, open-minded learner who stays up to date on museum/gallery education trends and best practices that engage audiences through art, collections, and exhibitions.
- A valid Drivers license and access to a reliable vehicle is required.
- A passion for supporting the diverse interests and needs of the Cambridge community
What We Offer
Working at Idea Exchange offers you the opportunity to be part of an organization that is welcoming, collaborative, and passionate about the community.
We provide fair market compensation, consistent and reliable work schedules, paid sick time, free parking, and a competitive benefits package that includes health, dental, prescription drugs and vision as well as short-term and long-term disability, Life Insurance and AD&D. We also offer participation in the OMERS pension plan.
Pay: $53,363 to $64,862 per year
Hours: 70 hours in a two-week period
Monday to Friday 9:30am to 5:30pm (with the possibility for flexible hours to accommodate evening and weekend programming)
How to Apply
To be considered for the position, please apply by October 26, 2022
- Tell us why we should consider you for this position! Please provide both a cover letter and resume, combined as a single PDF document.
- Submit your application by email to [email protected].
- If applying by email, please quote “22-35x, Education Facilitator” in your email subject line.
The anticipated start date for this position is November 2022.
The position is open to internal and external candidates. We thank everyone for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Idea Exchange aspires to employ a staff complement that fully represents the diversity of the community we serve. All qualified individuals who would contribute to the further diversification of our organization are encouraged to apply.
- Idea Exchange is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to accommodating individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact Human Resources at [email protected].
- Police Clearance Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening may be required.