Term: Part-time Casual
Start Date: February 2023
Rate of Pay: $17.00 / hour
Working Language: English
We are currently looking for a Part-Time Gallery Assistant to join our team.
Nature and Scope of Position
Reporting to the Education Manager and the Office, Operations, and Financial Manager, the Gallery Assistant engages the public in a discussion about Oakville Galleries’ exhibitions and programs and is responsible for the security of the works of art on view.
The Gallery Assistant is typically stationed at an open-air workstation at the entrance of Oakville Galleries’ Gairloch Gardens (1306 Lakeshore Road East) location or Centennial Square (120 Navy Street) location during the opening hours of each facility. They are a key member of the front-of-house team and serve as ambassadors of Oakville Galleries through their regular contact with members of the public.
COVID-19 personal protective equipment is provided to the Gallery Assistant. Masks and a minimum of two COVID-19 vaccines are required for all staff.
General Responsibilities and Duties
- Introduce visitors to Oakville Galleries’ exhibitions and programs;
- Initiate discussions about and lead tours of the exhibitions on view;
- Provide information for Oakville Galleries’ educational and public programs, and accept registrations and payments through our database;
- Promote Oakville Galleries membership programs to visitors, and process membership registrations and payments through our database;
- Process purchases of catalogs and other items through our online and in-person stores;
- Maintain attendance records and complete daily task checklists;
- Open and close the gallery spaces on time;
- Provide assistance to the Education, Communications, Development, and Curatorial departments as required.
The ideal candidate:
- is a current student or recent graduate of a post-secondary program in Art History, Art Education, Visual and/or Media Arts, Museum Studies, or a related discipline;
- demonstrates a solid knowledge of and a keen interest in contemporary art and/or gallery/museum practices;
- has excellent oral and written communication abilities;
- is comfortable interacting with members of the public and delivering public tours
- is able to work independently, self-motivate, and multi-task;
- has a working knowledge of macOS and Google Workspace environments;
- has availability to work flexible hours on weekdays, evenings, and weekends;
Customer Service Database experience, project management software experience, financial transaction management skills, French language skills, and other language skills are considered an asset.How to Apply
Application deadline: 13 February 2023, at 11:59 pm EST
We invite you to submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF via email to [email protected]