Gladstone House Artist Residencies: Call to Artists
Application deadline: December 19, 2022
The Art Studio at Gladstone House is a space for creativity and interaction. Located on the Studio Level of the hotel, the Art Studio is a bright, open, 480 square foot room with 3 spaces for resident artists.
Gladstone House invites applications for short-term (3-4 month) visual art or craft residencies. Residencies are self-directed: the artists work on projects of their own choosing. Work may be tied to a project, including preparation for an exhibition or show/sale, or may be for portfolio/practice development.
There is no fee to use the space.
The artists have access to the Art Studio 7 days a week, from 7:00am to 11:00pm.
Residencies are 3-4 months.
Applications are accepted for 3 or 4 month blocks, beginning January 1, 2023 through to the end of 2023. Blocks can be any continuous 3 or 4 month period to the end of 2023, eg. January 1-March 31, February 1-April 30.
The artist commitment:
In exchange for free use of the space, the artist is expected to work in the studio at least 3 half days per week. The Art Studio is open to hotel guests for informal interactions whenever artists are on site.
Each artist space is approximately 11×6 feet, delineated by 2 tables (60×30 in and 72×30 in, arranged in a L-shape). A rolling, upholstered task chair is provided for each artist. The Art Studio is located on the Studio Level, one floor below the main floor. It is accessible by stairs only.
Types of media suitable for the space:
The studio is an open space: practices that make regular use of dust-producing, noisy equipment are not a fit. Drills and other small power tools may be used from time to time but should not be a primary part of the artist’s practice. The studio does not have an industrial ventilation system – oil-based paints, turpentine, and varnishes are not permitted. Torches and burners are not permitted. Suitable media include:
- 2D work including drawing, painting (acrylic, tempera or watercolour only), collage, mixed media, illustration, block printing (water-based inks only)
- Small scale sculpture (certain materials may not be a fit)
- Textiles and fashion (sewing machines and irons are permitted)
- Jewellery (wirework, beadwork)
- Digital work
- This call is open to professional artists at any career stage (must be at least 19 years old).
- The Gladstone Hotel is committed to equity and diversity. Qualified applicants with diverse identities and lived experiences are encouraged to apply.
- Artists are assessed on the application materials described below and the fit of the practice to the space.
Please complete the application form. You will be asked to provide:
- 5 images of your work, or a link to your website
- Artist bio.
- Artist statement.
- Work plan.
- Preferred dates.
For more details, please visit our website.
For questions, or to request an alternate format, please contact:
Lee Petrie, Curator, Gladstone House, at [email protected]. Please indicate Artist Residency in the subject of your email.
Applications are due by 5:00PM (EST) on December 19, 2022
Gladstone House is partially accessible. The Art Studio is accessible by stairs only.