The National Ballet of Canada
The National Ballet of Canada is one of the most exciting, innovative arts institutions in Canada, and among the top ballet companies in the world. Since its establishment in 1951, The National Ballet of Canada is celebrated for its remarkable dancers and diverse repertoire of traditional full-length classic ballets and cutting-edge contemporary work by world-renowned choreographers and designers. Our Education and Community Engagement programmes are designed to cultivate an interest in the arts and promote dance to youth and broader communities.
Executing world-class, unforgettable performances and challenging our audiences is at the core of what we do, none of which would be possible without a talented and passionate team of employees. We persist to create an environment that encourages our artists and employees to realize the fullest extent of their talents in an inclusive workplace.
Interested in being at the forefront of innovation in the performing arts industry? Join our team of trailblazers and experience the magic that defines our institution.
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the Graphic Designer brings to life creative ideas to promote and celebrate the company’s activities both in print and digitally. This position supports the company’s two revenue generating departments – Communications and Development – creating materials to support both marketing campaigns and fundraising initiatives as well as overseeing brand integrity and consistency.
These are exciting times for The National Ballet of Canada as we embark on a full rebrand to better reflect the vibrant, forward-looking company the organization is today and the vision of new Artistic Director Hope Muir. The Graphic Designer will play a key role in this transition and the implementation of the new brand.
- With initial guidance from the Art Director, execute creative projects for the entire organization from concept through completion, including marketing and fundraising print collateral such as: season brochure, advertisements, invitations, proposals, reports, brochures, promotional banners and signage.
- Create digital assets including social media, email and web graphics, titling/credit slates for video, and assist with image resizing, extending and retouching as needed.
- Communicate and collaborate frequently with staff members from all departments regarding project status, timelines and deadlines and participate in collaborative revision and approval process until final design is approved.
- Ideate and initiate creative solutions, while remaining up-to-date on trends in design and technology to ensure output is consistent, relevant and reflective of the ballet brand.
- Manage the approvals process and establish and maintain systems for completing projects in a timely manner.
- Deliver high quality press-ready artwork to vendors and approve proofs, checking for accuracy, quality and brand consistency.
- Monitor corporate branding and graphic standards to ensure compliance with Style Guide, while updating the guide as necessary.
- Report on creative projects at weekly communications and development department meetings.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Competencies
- A bachelor’s degree or college diploma in design or relevant field along with at least 4+ years of graphic design experience, working in-house or within an agency, preferably in the arts and/or a not-for-profit environment
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator), Microsoft Office and Asana. Knowledge of After Effects, XD and HTML/CSS is an asset.
- Exceptional eye for detail. Outstanding design and layout skills, photo editing, colour correction and basic retouching and strong knowledge of typography
- Print production experience including knowledge of file formats, digital and offset processes, and best practices
- Strong project management skills with the ability to execute swiftly, prioritize, multi-task and meet tight deadlines. Work collaboratively and also independently with some direction while maintaining a positive attitude
- Knowledge of compliance for accessibility standards
- Basic understanding of UX principles and experience with social media and motion graphics is an asset
Compensation and Benefits
We strive to offer competitive, market-based compensation. During the interview process, we will work closely with you to determine a salary package that is commensurate with your experience and background. We understand the importance of work-life balance and are committed to supporting our employees’ overall wellbeing and productivity. We offer a range of benefits and perks to assist in maintaining this essential equilibrium:
- Complimentary season tickets to performances at the Four Season Centre for the Performing Arts
- Comprehensive Health & Dental and Paramedics Benefits package, including a Health Spending Account
- Company-matched Defined Contribution Pension Plan
- Counselling services and wellbeing resources through our Employee Assistance Program
- Hybrid work environment; minimum three (3) days a week in office and remotely from home two (2) days a week, subject to change
- Summer Fridays off in July
How to Apply:
Please submit one PDF document that includes your cover letter, disclosing your salary expectations, resume and a link to your professional portfolio to [email protected] with the subject heading “Graphic Designer” by no later than Friday November 17, 2023. Resumes will be reviewed as soon as they are received. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check.
The National Ballet of Canada recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks. As such, an offer of employment shall be conditional on proof of full COVID-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. We will primarily be using your phone number listed or email to communicate with you. It is your responsibility to include an updated phone number and email address and accepts calls/emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your phone, voice messages and email regularly. If no response is received within a reasonable timeframe, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, we reserve the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
Statement of Intention and Accommodation
The National Ballet of Canada is committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible, and equitable environment where employees feel valued and respected. We are committed to reflect the diversity of our community, our city and our country. We strive to ensure our recruitment and selection processes are bias-free. We welcome and encourage submissions from Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, the Deaf and disabled as well as individuals of all genders, cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and abilities. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources department will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process.