JOB PURPOSE: The candidate will actively seek out individuals in the community that have the interest and capacity to support THEMUSEUM through a transformational contribution(s) as donors and as members. The position will grow and maintain the individual giving donor base through strategic acquisition, annual campaigns, and a strong stewardship plan, and build up the donor base among existing membership. The candidate will also contribute to cultivating, maintaining and managing donor relationships with local corporate giving representatives.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Constituent Relations and Individual Giving:
- Make presentations, negotiate partnerships, set meetings, and cultivate relationships with current donors and corporate sponsors and prospective donors and sponsors.
- Record findings, meetings, and communications in databases. Brief the CEO and Board on pertinent information and involve them when necessary.
- Develop a comprehensive Major Gift & individual donor campaign plan
- Compose donor appeals, submit design requests for marketing materials, and prepare/order accompanying materials: donation forms, business return envelopes, etc.
- Carry out donor stewardship through regular communications, site visit invitations, thank you cards, award ceremony attendance, etc.
- Organize and execute recognition for events, marketing materials, documentation, etc.
Development Department Activities:
- Uphold CRA rules and guidelines
- Participate in determining goals and strategic plans for the development department, in consultation with other development staff
- Contribute to creating and meeting department budgets
- Collaborate on an annual fundraising schedule and coordinate an intra-departmental communications plan/calendar in consultation with the marketing and sales teams.
- Attendance at special events and business meetings outside of regular office hours may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Two-year community college diploma in Arts & Culture, Management/Business, Museum Studies, and Public Relations/Communications is preferred.
The following are assets to the position:
- Post degree diploma in Arts Management, Not-for-Profit Management, Fundraising
- CFRE- Certified Fund-Raising Executive
- Capital Campaign experience
- Experience developing a membership program for a cultural institution
Three years of related experience, including:
- Knowledge of fundraising practices and CRA guidelines
- Experience in securing gifts of $5000 or more from individual donors
- Experience in planning and executing Individual Giving campaigns: direct mail, e-appeals, etc.
- Extensive donor stewardship knowledge
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed research and presentation skills
- Experience with relational databases and/or CRM platforms
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to read, retain, and report on large amounts of information quickly and with accuracy
- Familiarity working with budgets and creating financial reports
- Experience working at multi-stakeholder, not-for-profit organizations is considered an asset
WORKING CONDITIONS – ENVIRONMENT
Normal Office Conditions – little exposure to foul language, poor lighting, noise, and travel.
EFFORT – PHYSICAL AND SENSORY
Substantial time spent keyboarding and sitting
Substantial time spent on report writing, proofing materials, and use of computer
Provide direct supervision to employees in the Development department.
THEMUSEUM’s vision is to awe, inspire and enlighten and as such stages permanent and traveling exhibitions for both children and adults. Located in downtown Kitchener, THEMUSEUM is a charitable organization offering a unique blend of art and technology at play. It provides an opportunity for children and adults to learn in a fun, imaginative, non-traditional, creative environment. We encourage you to visit our website at www.THEMUSEUM.ca.
THEMUSEUM strives to promote diversity in the workplace by considering all future employees without regard to race, religion, colour, age, sex, national origin, sexual identity, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, or any other minority. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
We thank all interested applicants. However, THEMUSEUM will contact only those candidates to be interviewed. No phone calls please.