Announcing a unique opportunity to work at Ed Video Media Arts Centre. We are a membership-based production centre with a mission to foster the creation, exhibition and appreciation of media art. We are looking for a Digital Endeavours Intern to coordinate a set of 1.5 – 2 month collaborative learning sessions, where participants experiment with different types of technology, learning together and sharing ideas and knowledge.
Internship Start Date: 01-08-2022
Internship End Date: 31-03-2023
Hours worked per week: 30
Hourly wage: $19.00
Date Posted: June 15th, 2022
Application Deadline: July 8, 5pm EDT 2022
Topics include: VR Spaces, Raspberry Pi as a Tool for Video, Projection Mapping, Electronics Experimentation x2, 3D Printing.
The intern will:
- Develop technical skills in Ed Video’s equipment, technology and software related to those technologies in order to share these skills with our membership and exhibiting artists
- Coordinate all Ed Video Digital Endeavours series activities with the guidance of our Education Coordinator and Technical Director. This would include determining the creative goals of each session, scheduling, promoting and administering group activities, moderating Discord discussions for the group and documenting activities;
- Work with mentors/ instructors to develop course plans for each of the five sessions
- Perform tasks including promotion, registration process, confirmation of session dates and mentors, specific session creative activities and post event evaluation.
- Provide various administrative and shared office duties, including contributions to grant-writing, budgeting, promotion of events, and payment processing
This position includes evening and weekend work, some hours regularly in the office and some planning time. The successful applicant must complete and submit proof of the Vulnerable Sector Verification process. This verification can be completed through regional police services. Ed Video will reimburse the new employee for costs associated with the process.
The successful candidate is a media arts enthusiast and is well informed about contemporary art practices. They will be expected to stay up-to-date with advancements in digital technologies as they relate to the creation and exhibition of media arts, with a focus on equipment and technology available at Ed Video. A post-secondary arts education is considered an asset. A high level of digital fluency, and a strong desire to learn and experiment with technology are key requirements.
This position is offered through the Digital Skills for Youth (DS4Y) program funded by the Government of Canada which aims to help underemployed youth enhance and develop their digital and soft skills. The program combines valuable work experience with digital skills training, allowing participating youth to advance their digital skills and secure their success in the digital economy.
Mentorship and training will be offered to the successful applicant.
Eligibility – Interns hired under DS4Y must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the internship;
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada (either a citizen, permanent resident or person with refugee status – work permits are not eligible);
- Self-identify as underemployed (i.e. employed below their level of education, holding part-time employment, or in emerging fields with few jobs);
- Have completed post-secondary studies (exception: interns located in Nunavut, Yukon or NWT are not required to meet this criterion);
- Have no immediate family relationship with the employer.
This internship opportunity is presented as part of the “Digital Skills for Youth” program coordinated by the Independent Media Arts Alliance and funded by the Department of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.