Term: Part-time, Permanent / 9-12 weeks per year
Rate of Pay: $40 / hour
Start Date: February 2023
Location of Work: Oakville, Ontario
Language of Work: English
We are currently looking for a Lead Installation Technician to join our team.
Nature and Scope of Position
Reporting to the Curator, the Lead Installation Technician contributes to the realization of the Oakville Galleries program through the planning, production, and execution of gallery exhibitions. Typically there are 3 exhibition installation periods annually. Throughout the year the Lead Installation Technician also assists with the care and maintenance of the permanent collection.
COVID-19 personal protective equipment is provided to the Lead Installation Technician. Masks and a minimum of two COVID-19 vaccines are required for all staff.
General Responsibilities and Duties
• Responsible for the development, management, co-ordination, production and execution required to install temporary exhibitions, installations, exhibits from the permanent collection and special projects including public artworks
• Liaises with curators and artists to identify needs regarding display of exhibitions, maintenance of permanent collection
• Works with curators on the design and layout of exhibitions
• Schedules and supervises external labour for all installations, ensuring they are well-qualified to ensure safe handling of artwork at all times
• Identifies, sources and maintains materials, equipment and supplies for exhibitions including AV equipment, lighting and hardware
• Maintains and improves the workshop, storage, hardware, equipment etc.
• Designs and fabricates display furniture and hardware
• Responsible for installing didactic panels and labels
• Oversees packing, unpacking, lifting, and crating of artworks in the context of exhibition installations and de-installations and loans of the permanent collection
• May be required to coordinate national and international transportation of artworks and related customs arrangements
Requirements & Skills
As Lead Installation Technician, the candidate must have:
• 2 – 5 years of experience leading and managing crews
• superior people management skills and knowledge of workplace safety in order to manage and supervise contract staff in a fast-paced job site around fragile/valuable objects as demonstrated through
• excellent project management skills developing and adhering to timelines to manage all steps of the installation process
• training and certification in the safe operation of tools such as skyjack, hoists, power tools, and hazardous machinery; as well as being trained and able to work on ladders at heights and to lift objects in excess of 50 lbs on a regular basis
• Bachelor of Arts or Fine Arts, or equivalent experience in galleries/museums
• A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
• be knowledgeable about museum standards;
• have demonstrated experience in correctly handling, installing, crating, moving art
• have demonstrated experience in painting, finishing, and surfacing.
• have technical knowledge and experience of fabrication and construction
• have the ability to design and maintain lighting
• be familiar with audio visual installations
• be able to field quotes and manage material and labour costs
• be adept at spatial thinking and conceptualization
How to Apply
Application deadline: 13 February 2023, at 11:59 pm EST
We invite you to submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF via email to [email protected]