HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL:
All applications must be submitted through the Submittable link below.
The deadline for submissions is January 16, 2023, 11:59 p.m. ET
SUBMIT HERE(opens in a new tab)
What are we looking for?
- Interactive component
- Comprehensive and detailed submission that meets all outlined requirements
- Strong connection to the curatorial theme “Renewal”
- A creative and strong use of light
- An installation that will thrive in a public space that experiences heavy pedestrian traffic
- Exhibits that can be maintained by the Applicant throughout the duration of the exhibit
- Detailed budget
- Concept / Description of proposed piece
- Mock Ups / renderings of proposed piece
- Installation and maintenance plan for the proposed piece
The Application Timeline:
Call For Submission: November 30 to January 16
Evaluation & Clarification Period: January 16 to January 19
Award Date: January 20
Site Visits: January 23 to January 27
Fabrication Period: January 20 to March 8
Install Period: March 3 to March 8
Light Test: March 8
Media Launch (tbc): March 9
Exhibition Dates: March 10 to May 7
Load Out: May 8 to 12
Submissions that do not adhere to these criteria will be disregarded.
Ontario Place reserves the right to engage specific artists should it be required to fulfill the deliverables outlined.
Ontario Place will in no way own the piece post-exhibition unless otherwise discussed with the Applicant directly.
Project Proposal (concept & description of project):
Includes, but not limited to:
- a description of the exhibit that includes how the piece meets the curatorial theme
- describe the interactive component
- present the concept behind the design
- include the specs and material list (materials must be suitable for 24 hour exposure to inclement weather, snow, rain, ice, high winds, etc.)
The concept should reflect how the proposed piece incorporates light, engagement / interaction and meets the curatorial theme of ‘Renewal’.
Project Delivery Plan (installation, maintenance, removal. etc.):
Includes, but not limited to:
- production timeline (fabrication, onsite installation timing)
- Scale of proposed piece and the footprint required
- identify the permits, certifications, safety requirements applicable to the piece being proposed
- Outline the maintenance plan for the duration of the exhibition (respond to calls for repair within 24hrs, less if safety is a concern)
- Ontario Place has on site roaming security 24hrs / 7 days a week however Trillium Park is a public place and as such comes with the challenges and risks of art in public spaces
- Proposals must be turn-key
- All proposals must show that the artist has considered this is a public art exhibition that will be accessible to the public 7 days a week from 6am to 11pm.
- Ontario Place is located by the water and inclement weather should be considered
- Minimal power is available at each location, please review the site location map for more info or schedule a site visit to review in person.
Project Funding (budget):
A successful Applicant may receive up to a maximum of $12,500 CAD (HST not included). The final amount awarded to each Applicant will be determined after a review of the submission and detailed budget provided. Full funding is not guaranteed and OPC reserves the right to determine the final amount awarded to each Applicant.
Successful Applicants will receive 70% of funding at the beginning of the project and 30% upon the successful completion of a mandatory light test prior to the launch of the Exhibition.
Budgets must detailed, itemized – outlining all costs and contingencies to support the funding being requested.
Tips for Funding Support:
Visit the OAC website for information on grants available to you. i.e. Exhibition Grants. We are happy to write letters of support for applicants seeking funding from elsewhere. Applicants will require OPC approval for all corporate branding requests for inclusion as part of a proposed piece. A successful Applicant may receive up to a maximum of $12,500 CAD plus HST for the project (inclusive of all fees, materials, labour, etc.)