THE CORPORATION OF THE TOWN OF OAKVILLE
CALL NO. Part-Time
This job profile reflects the general details considered necessary to perform the principle functions and shall not be construed as an interpretation of all work requirements inherent in the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate in their applications and in the interview process that their qualifications for the positions match those specified. Applicants may be required to undergo a skills assessment and/or testing.
Job Designation: Technician – Culture – Performance Spaces, Queen Elizabeth Community and Cultural Centre
Department: Recreation and Culture
Salary Range: $21.93 – $27.40 hourly
Temporary: up to 24 hours per week, scheduled in accordance with bookings, includes evenings and weekends
Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre (QEPCCC) is a unique multi-purpose recreation, arts and culture facility located in Oakville, Ontario. QEPCCC offers many drop-in and registered recreational, cultural and aquatic programs, including a studio drop-in program and memberships, and an exhibitions program.
To provide technical support for specialized equipment in the performance spaces at the Queen Elizabeth Park Community and Cultural Centre such as the Black Box theatre and Rehearsal Hall. This position reports to the Cultural Coordinator. Specific duties include:
- Maintaining specialized theatre, sound, video and computer equipment in the performance spaces.
- Providing technical support to clients, users and staff to ensure equipment is used properly.
- Operating and providing technical set-up and support for clients as well as for performances in the Black Box theatre and Rehearsal Hall.
- Programs and operates a computer controlled-lighting control console.
- Hangs circuits, colours and focuses theatrical lighting instruments.
- Operates a 20’ personnel lift to access lights being focused.
- Assists with the hanging of scenery, lights and curtains.
- Cleans and maintains lighting fixtures, the stage and all its accessories.
- Sets up and operates audio console and audio equipment owned by the Town of Oakville.
- Ensures all warranty requirements are maintained and ensures operating procedure and maintenance is followed according to warranty requirements.
- Follows policies and procedures and demonstrates excellent customer service relations.
- Reports to the Cultural Coordinator with regular communication about any problems and/or recommendations regarding equipment and facilities which may affect the safe operation of the areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Successful candidates who are new hires and/or who have not performed in this position previously will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment.
The successful applicant will have a college diploma or degree or other recognized technical qualifications specializing theatre or production for live events and 3 years’ experience either in a professional environment or the equivalent work experience. Significant Theatre technician experience is also required including the operation of lighting, sound and rigging for theatre productions. Some experience with wiring and maintenance of audio equipment is needed. Health and Safety training, WHIMIS and First Aid certification and sensitivity training is also required. Lift training certificate is required.
Letters of application should address the candidate’s expertise in the areas of professional work and community service. All applicants must be able to provide a portfolio that demonstrates the above during the interview process.
Applications will be accepted on-line at oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on February 28, 2022.
DATED: December 16, 2021
We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.