Business / Arts is inviting Canadian visual artists to submit proposals for the design of an award for the Business / Arts Awards to be used over the next five years (2023-2027). In the first stage of the selection process, we are inviting visual artists to submit their portfolio, CV, and a brief expression of interest. Select artists will then be invited to participate in the second stage and submit a more detailed proposal. The successful artist will be asked to design and create a minimum of six awards in advance of the upcoming Business / Arts Awards taking place in fall 2023.
The successful artist will be provided with an artist contract. They will be paid a commission fee of $6,000 CAD and the cost of materials.
Presented annually, the Business / Arts Awards recognize innovative partnerships between business and the arts, and celebrate exceptional philanthropists, leaders, organizations and companies who have made a significant contribution to the arts in Canada. The event gathers hundreds of leaders from both the arts and business sectors for a black-tie affair featuring cocktails and conversation as well as live entertainment from prominent Canadian artists. Read more about our most recent awards celebration here.
Scope of Work:
Business / Arts is seeking a Canadian artist to design and produce the award that will be presented to recipients during the annual awards celebration from 2023-2027. A total of 30 awards will be required. A wall-mountable award is preferred, but self-standing submissions will also be considered. The award can be a two or three-dimensional artwork in any medium including sculpture, textile, and 2D works such as photography, drawing, or painting.
In order for the design to be considered, the following requirements must be met:
- Specifications: The award should not exceed a weight of 2 kg. There must be sufficient space provided for a plaque to be engraved with the year, award name and the recipient’s name.
- Medium: The artist may use any medium to create their work, but the final piece must be durable and non-breakable.
- Replicability: The design must be suitable for replication, as Business / Arts will be presenting six awards each year for a total of 30 awards over the course of five years.
- Exclusivity: Business / Arts will be awarded exclusive use of the design for the entirety of the contract.
- Originality: All proposals submitted must be original works that have not been previously submitted to any other calls or contests.
- Content Restrictions: The artwork should not include any logos or commercial designs, direct advertising, political or religious symbols, sexual content, profanity or offensive/violent content.
- Timeline: The first 6 awards must be completed and ready for presentation by September 5, 2023. A timeline for the delivery of the remaining 24 awards will be determined by Business / Arts and the winning artist.
- Compliance: If the final piece does not match the original approved design, it will not be used.
STAGE 1: Expression of interest to be submitted by Monday, March 20, 2023, at 11:59pm ET.
Interested Canadian artists are invited to complete the Artist Expression of Interest Form which includes:
- A portfolio: Website or a PDF file with images of representative work completed within the last 5 years
- A CV
- A brief expression of interest (250 words max)
STAGE 2: Proposal to be submitted by Thursday, April 20, 2023, at 11:59pm ET
Selected artists will be invited to complete the Artist Proposal Form which includes:
- A sketch or digital mock-up of the final design
- A production timeline and estimated cost of materials
- An artist statement describing the artwork (300 words max)
- February 16, 2023 – Call launched
- March 20, 2023 – Submission deadline for Stage 1
- End of March 2023 – Review of submissions by Business / Art. Select artists are invited to participate in Stage 2
- April 20, 2023 – Submission deadline for Stage 2
- May 1, 2023 – Artist is selected and notified
- September 5, 2023 – First 6 physical awards delivered to Business / Arts
Business / Arts is committed to equity in our policies, practices, and programs. We strongly encourage and welcome applications from people who identify as Indigenous, racialized, 2SLGBTQ+, living with a disability, a religious or language minority.
Complete the Artist Expression of Interest Form here
If you have questions about this opportunity, please contact Ana Ramirez, Creative Lead, Business / Arts at [email protected]