Emerging visual and media artists, musicians, and cultural managers in Guelph and Wellington County are invited to apply to the Guelph Emerging Artist Mentorship Project. This opportunity will support artists in the critical transition to professional life.
Through the project, artists will work with established-artist mentors to develop the professional networks and business and management skills needed for creative careers in Guelph. GAC will match each emerging artist participant with a mentor that suits their artistic discipline and development needs.
Participants in the project will include emerging Guelph-Wellington artists. They will have a discipline focus in visual or media arts, music, or cultural management.
GAC is grateful for the partnership of the University of Guelph’s School of Fine Art and Music.
Artist participants will be expected to:
1) engage in mentorship sessions with an established-artist mentor (4 – 6 hours per participant), who will share their own experience and perspective
2) collaborate with other project participants on a finale exhibition or performance, with support from mentors.
Timeline: The Project will be implemented from October – December, 2023. Participation in the project requires a commitment during this period to a minimum of four hours participation in mentoring sessions and to collaborative planning of a group exhibition project.
Location: Training, mentorship, and other project sessions will take place in person, if possible, but GAC will assist in organizing online spaces for sessions if needed.
Application Process: By completing this application by Tuesday, September 19, 2023 before 11:59 pm.
Application Requirements and Documents
- Current CV or Artist Bio (max. 4 pages) that includes artistic activities for the past 12 to 18 months.
- Three to seven images, MP3 files, or video links of previous work, if applicable
- List of images, MP3 files, or video links: Include file names, title, description, medium/instrument, dimensions (if applicable), date completed or performed, if applicable
- A brief letter (100 – 350 words) describing your interest in the project, your artistic and career goals, and how you expect to benefit from the project
Applications Closes: Tuesday, September 19 at 11:59 pm
Notification: Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Guelph Arts Council
@10C Shared Space
42 Carden Street
Guelph, ON N1H 3A2