Position: Art Curator
Department: Human Resources
Status: Part-time (equivalent of 1 day/week)
Note: This role is funded by grants and other donations.
Site: Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital (OTMH) Art Council, Oakville, Ontario
Halton Healthcare’s vision of Exemplary patient experiences, always, goes beyond just the patient experience; it has shaped our culture and remains at the core of every interaction in our organization, from our patients & their families to our staff, physicians and volunteers.
We believe in exemplary PEOPLE experiences always!
At Halton Healthcare you will thrive in a healthcare environment that embraces inclusion, diversity and belonging with ‘exemplary patient care, always’ at the heart of everything we do.
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities.
Reporting to the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and working in collaboration with the Art Council, other members of the Halton Healthcare Executive team, and the Foundation, the Curator maintains the current range of artistic programming and develops it as appropriate. The Curator oversees and manages the art collection and any new donation proposals. They actively work with the SVP, Redevelopment, Facilities & Retail Operations and approved external installers to move artwork throughout the building as needed.
The ideal candidate is flexible, creative, and collaborative, with a passion for creating art experiences for our patients, visitors, staff and volunteers and connecting with diverse communities. Experience in generating programs, developing exhibitions, and managing acquisitions is important.
This is a part-time position based on the equivalent of 1 day/week. As the demands of the position vary, the Curator is expected to organize their time as needed within these general constraints.
- Curate and coordinate exhibitions and develop art-related programming, including the development of tour guide booklets, booking art installers, coordinating loans, shipping, and managing exhibition budgets.
- Oversee the development of the hospital’s art collection, including the procurement of new donations, and maintenance of artwork files
- Ensure any proposed art loans and donations and all artistic programming are suitable for the hospital environment in accordance with Hospital policies and the Art Council Terms of Reference
- Work collaboratively with the Foundation to partner on donor related funding and Art
- Chair the Art Donation Committee and meet regularly to review donations to bring to the Art Council.
- Organize and manage the installation of works of art, loaned and donated, throughout the OTMH.
- Help to build the Art Council with additional members of the cultural community
- Source funding opportunities and write grant applications and reports as needed
- Foster strong relationships with artists, donors, and other stakeholders
- Serve as an ambassador for the OTMH Art Council, both within and outside of the hospital, by being an active presence in the visual arts community as well as at public events with the general public
- Provide regular updates to the Hospital as appropriate and work collaboratively with the leaders including the CHRO, SVP, Redevelopment, Facilities & Retail Operations and the CEO.
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Post-secondary degree in a related discipline, such as Art History, Visual Arts, Museum or Curatorial Studies (Masters or Ph. D. considered an asset) or the equivalent combination of education and working experience.
- Minimum 3 years curatorial experience; including exhibitions, publications, and acquisitions
- Experience with exhibition planning, including project management, grant writing, and budget management
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to lead and maintain productive working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to conceptualize, prioritize and make decisions aligned to exhibition production, from research and conceptualization through all aspects of project implementation
- Ability to identify artistic works of high quality that are appropriate for a hospital environment
- Flexible and embraces change, diverse points of view and creative problem solving